- Bill of lading
- A contract between the exporter and a transportation company in which the latter agrees to transport the goods under specified conditions which limit its liability. It is the exporter's receipt for the goods as well as proof that goods have been or will be received. The New York Times Financial Glossary
* * *bill of lading bill of lad‧ing [ˌbɪl əv ˈleɪdɪŋ] written abbreviation b/l abbreviation BOL noun bills of lading PLURALFORM [countable] COMMERCE TRANSPORTa document that gives information about goods being transported. A bill of lading is also a contract to transport the goods, and shows that the transporter has received the goods:
• If the buyer finds the bill of lading is not in order, he can refuse it.
• With general cargo vessels, hundreds of bills of lading may have to be issued.another name for an unclean bill of ladinga bill of lading that shows that the goods and packaging are in good condition:
• Bankers require clean bills of lading.another name for an unclean bill of ladinga bill of lading held on a computer, not on paper:
• Holders of the electronic bill of lading receive a password to access the carrier's computer network.another name for an unclean bill of ladinga bill of lading for the transport of goods by seaa bill of lading that shows that goods or packaging are damaged in some way
* * *bill of lading UK US noun [C] (plural bills of lading) (WRITTEN ABBREVIATION BOL, WRITTEN ABBREVIATION B/L)► COMMERCE, TRANSPORT a document that shows the details of the products that are being transported by a company: »
With the bill of lading, the carrier acknowledges that it has received the goods that are to be transported.»
The buyer must present the bill of lading in order that the goods can be released.»
an electronic bill of lading→ See also CLAUSED BILL OF LADING(Cf. ↑claused bill of lading), CLEAN BILL OF LADING(Cf. ↑clean bill of lading), COMBINED TRANSPORT BILL OF LADING(Cf. ↑combined transport bill of lading), CONTAINER BILL OF LADING(Cf. ↑container bill of lading), DIRTY BILL OF LADING(Cf. ↑dirty bill of lading), FOUL BILL OF LADING(Cf. ↑foul bill of lading), OCEAN BILL OF LADING(Cf. ↑ocean bill of lading), UNCLEAN BILL OF LADING(Cf. ↑unclean bill of lading)
Financial and business terms. 2012.